Music Teacher, West Shore School District
Kate spends the school year teaching music to students in Red Mill Elementary School, Fairview Elementary School, and ExCEL Virtual Academy at the West Shore School District. She not only leads students in active music-making, but she also coordinates and edits Red Mill's morning announcements.
Before Fall of 2022, Kate worked at Lincoln Charter for 17 years. In 2017, she received the school's first Staff Member of the Year award.
Secretary, American Center for Elemental Music and Movement
In the fall of 2015, Kate found out that she had been awarded the Spotlight Award from the American Center for Elemental Music and Movement. This award helped change her life, so she joined the Spotlight Committee to help other music teachers have the same wonderful experience. Kate was then asked to join the board and is now the secretary. She now leads the Empowerment committee and is responsible for distributing Spark Grants, Beacon Scholarships, Spotlight Awards, and serves as moderator of ACEMM's weekly book study. If you want to learn more about the amazing organization that is ACEMM, check out their website!
Choir Director, Hummelstown Community Singers
Since 2004, Kate has spent her Monday nights at the Hummelstown United Church of Christ either accompanying or directing the Hummelstown Community Singers. A non-auditioned choir, the group began in 1990 and continues on today. If you live in Central PA and would like to join us, check out our Facebook page for more information. We are currently preparing for our Winter 2022 concert!
President, Greater Baltimore Area Orff Schulwerk Association
Past President, Philadelphia Area Orff Schulwerk Association
After completing her Orff Schulwerk Levels at Villanova (through the Philadelphia University of the Arts), Kate has been an enthusiastic member (and sometimes board member) of three chapters of the American Orff Schulwerk Association. From 2015-2016, she served as president of the Philadelphia Area Orff Schulwerk Association. From 2014 - 2016, and again from 2019-present, she served as president of the Greater Baltimore Area Orff Schulwerk Association. She credits attending the workshops of three chapters as a large factor in her development as a music teacher.
During the pandemic, Kate has been using Soundtrap to help bring some of her compositions to life. You can see some of her work featured on the Ready Go Music YouTube channel or on her own YouTube Channel here.
Kate has travelled across the country giving workshops about how to use the Orff Schulwerk process to help teachers create students that are active and creative musicians. Kate has presented at the following organizations:
- AOSA National Conference - "Steps to (Virtually) Prep the Recorder" (2020); "One Song: a Piece to Spiral Through Your Curriculum" (2018); "Around the World in 80 Beats" (2016)
- Arkansas Orff: "Playing with Music" (2021)
- Detroit Orff Schulwerk Association - "Around the World in 80 Beats" (2018)
- Green Country Oklahoma Orff Chapter - "Nurturing the Unexpected" (2020)
- Greater Baltimore Area Orff Schulwerk Association - "Teaching to the Void" (2020); "Let's All Dance: Planning a Family Folk Dance Night" (2019); "From Storybook to Stage" (2018) with Daniel Rhode; "Around the World in 80 Beats," (2015)
- Greater Cincinnati Chapter of AOSA - "Nurturing the Unexpected" (2020)
- Greater Cleveland Orff Chapter - "Around the World in 80 Beats" (2019)
- Idaho Orff Chapter - "Around the World in 80 Beats" (2020)
- MMEA - "Online Tools for Elemental Music Making" (Winter 2020); "Around the World in 80 Beats" (Winter 2019); "The Wolf is On His Way" (Winter 2019); "Egg Cartons & Scrambled Eggs: Exploring 6/8 in the Elementary Classroom" (Fall 2018) with Becky Burdett
- NAFME All-Eastern Conference - "Egg Cartons & Scrambled Eggs: Exploring 6/8 in the Elementary Classroom" (2019) with Becky Burdett
- New England American Orff Schulwerk Association (2019) - "Around the World in 80 Beats" (2019)
- Northern New Jersey Area Orff Schulwerk Association - "Around the World in 80 Beats" (2018)
- Ohio Music Educators Association: "Cross-Curricular Integration" (Winter 2021); "Using Literature to Develop Musicianship" (Winter 2021); "Building Virtual Music Classrooms for Active Music Making" (Fall 2020); "Interactive music with Google Slides for the Elementary Music Classroom" (Fa;; 2020)
- Peabody Saturday Series - "Using Mixed Meter with All Ages," 2018 and "Orff Without Instruments" 2020 with Warkenda Williams-Casey
- Philadelphia Area Orff Schulwerk Association - "You Are Enough" (2020), with Drue Bullington, David Thaxton, Ardith Collins, and Michelle Przybylowski; "Star Light, Star Bright" - portion of the Tossi Aaron memorial workshop (2019)"Elemental Dumpster Diving" (2017) with Daniel Rhode
- PMEA District Professional Development - District 9: "Steps to Prep the Recorder" (2019); District 7: "Using Centers Purposefully in the Elementary Music Classroom" with Lisa Sempsey; District 7:"Steps to Prep the Recorder" and "Dancing Through Your Curriculum." (2018)
- PMEA District 9 Professional Development Day - "Steps to Prep the Recorder" (2019)
- Twin Tiers Orff Schulwerk Association - "Around the World in 80 Beats" (2019)
- Utah Chapter of the American Orff Schulwerk Association - "Nurturing the Unexpected" (2021)